Bug Sprays, All-Natural Repellents & More!
Summer is the best season to spend time outside, but pesky bugs chase many people away from enjoying outdoor activities like camping. It can be difficult to fully enjoy nature when you’re constantly swatting at bugs and scratching bites.
Fortunately, there are a variety of effective bug repellents that help keep those bugs at bay. From traditional DEET-based sprays to natural bug repellents and other mosquito-control solutions for camping, this list includes the best products to help you find the right repellent for your camping needs.
Bug spray is the most common repellent campers use. The DEET chemical in the these sprays repels mosquitoes and other bugs and keeps them from biting. Here is our recommendation for effective and long-lasting sprays:
- Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max Formula, 40%DEET (pump spray)
- OFF! Deep Woods Insect Repellent
- Cutter Backwoods Insect Repellent
For people who want to avoid DEET, try these alternatives:
- Burning sage in a campfire: This method gives off a citrusy scent that mosquitoes hate, driving them away from your campsite.
- Bug repellent bracelets: These easy-to-wear, waterproof bands hold a capsule of essential oils that drive bugs away.
- Natural mosquito repellent sticks: When burned, these sticks release strong essential oils into the atmosphere to keep bugs out of your campsite.
Other Mosquito-Control Products
- Bug Zappers and Lanterns: Bugs are attracted to the light and instantly die when they come into contact with Mosquito Zap Trap. Portable rechargeable zappers are available for camping without access to electricity.
- Clip-on mosquito repellent: These products diffuse pesticide metofluthrin into the air to repel bugs.